Thursday, October 16, 2014

My thoughts on "Education and the Social Web: Connective learning and the commercial imperative

I just read the article at http://firstmonday.org/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/3149/2718 and these are my thoughts.

Dr. Norm Friesen makes a good case that Facebook and other social media on the internet are engineered to make money. He shows how they do so by selling special advertising space that can specifically target an audience based on information know by the social network. The author also points out that these networks are engineered to discourage dissent, negativity, disagreement and expression of disdain as negativity does not sell as well as positivity. Dr Friesen argues that the commercially driven nature of social networks should be reason enough to exclude them from any future educational models.

That being said, I disagree with Dr. Friesen.  Social networks making a profit is not bad. It is good for our economy and the people that work for those companies, who by the way also have families that will benefit from education. Companies making a profit by having better advertising is also not bad. This too is good for our economy, those companies, the people employed by those companies and their families.  Social networks discouraging dissent or limiting dissent to comments that can be left is just a good idea. I personally have never cared for rude persons or businesses and do not know a person who does.

As for social media not having a place in education, I also disagree with Dr. Friesen. Just because my shirt has a logo on it does not mean I can not use it to teach my child about letters and reading.  Just because the History Channel uses advertising to make a profit that pays for the programming does not mean that I can not learn from it.  Just because Facebook does not have a dislike button does not mean I can not think, type and "post" a "comment" letting others know that I disagree with an issue. Education is about applying oneself to learn and can be done anywhere... even on social media. So when we are crafting instruction plans I do not think it wise to simply write off social media as a source of information.

4 comments:

  1. Hi James. I agree with your example about the History Channel. Just because something has a commercial component to it, does not mean that it can not have a educational one. I think if social media is used correctly and strictly for the means of interaction, collaboration and engagement, then there can be great educational benefits from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great examples on how advertising does not negate educational value. I agree completely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, agree as well that content containing advertising can have educational value. I also think that social media can be useful for educational tool, but I do think students should be aware that their personal information is being saved and sold to advertisers by some of these companies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well said! I am a true believer that social media is a tool for education. I have seen classes utilize such websites as survey monkey or a similar one to gain for understanding. Also, it is more common for teachers to send out reminders via twitter or facebook to alert students when assignments are going to be due. Students look at their phones not only for facebook but for answers. we need to incorporate those tools

    ReplyDelete